Shakha karyakartas from Arjuna shakha (Centerville, Fremont) approached the City of Newark, CA mayor to present the SEWA activities they have been involved in the Alameda county. Mayor Al Nagy, was very courteous and responded to our email with an appointment on 09/09. Mayor Al Nagy was very courteous and presented us a brief history of the city.
Highlights of our meeting with the mayor:
- We gave a brief overview of Hindu Swayam Sevak Sangh in US.
- We presented the SEWA work HSS is involved in across US, in the bay area, and in the Alameda county highlighting the Oakland project which helped support Burmese Buddhist community.
- We educated him on the Hindu concept of "Vasudaiva Kutumbakam" or Universal Oneness Day, and the significance of this festival for Hindus and how its relevant in the US. He graciously accepted our request for tying a Raksha Bandan around his hand, and appreciated the gesture wholeheartedly.
- Mayor then read the proclamation and acknowledged HSS's spirit of volunteerism and how that was need to support during the trying times we all live in due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- HSS karyakartas offered to join volunteering projects in the city of Newark.
- HSS karyakartas presented the concept of "Sewa Diwali" to the Mayor and he appreciated the continuing Sewa efforts , and willingness for HSS to working with his city.
- HSS team gifted Mayor Al Nagy following books "American Veda" and Vivekananda coffee table book along with a box Indian sweets.